Chail Cricket Ground in Chail, Himachal Pradesh, India, is a popular tourist destination. This cricket ground, which is 2444 meters above sea level and was built in 1893 by Bhupinder Singh, Maharaja of Patiala, is known as the highest cricket ground in the world.
History of Chail Cricket Ground
Chail is a hill station in Himachal Pradesh, 49 kilometers from Shimla. When Maharaja Bhupinder Singh of Patiala was prevented from entering Shimla, the summer capital, in 1891, he decided to construct a new summer capital for himself. He built the cricket field at Chail, surrounded by thick deodar forests, and rebuilt Chail in accordance with his specifications. After India’s increase to the Indian Association, the Maharaja gave the vast majority of his structures to Chail Military School and the Public authority of India. The Chail cricket field is now used by Chail Military School as a playground and as a polo field during the summer months. It also has a well-kept basketball court and is used for football because the ground has goal posts as well.
Weather Conditions of Chail Cricket Ground
Chail is a great place to visit all year round because of the pleasant weather there. The winter months are rather cool and tranquil, in contrast to the delightful and invigorating summer months. Since Chail experiences little rain during the monsoon season, it is a popular destination that is open all year round. The busiest travel months, however, are April through July and September through November.
Why is Chail Cricket Ground Famous?
With a height of roughly 2,144 meters, Chail Cricket Ground is renowned for being the highest cricket pitch in the world. This 1893-built field, which is also used for polo, is encircled by giant deodar trees. One of India’s most renowned cricket stadiums, it is located 7500 feet above sea level.
Who Built Chail Cricket Ground?
Bhupinder Singh, Maharaja of Patiala, who was denied admittance into Shimla by Lord Kitchner, established Chail as his summer residence and erected the Chail Cricket Ground. The area was created by levelling a hilltop, and pine and deodar trees beautifully encircle it. It continues to be one of the most well-liked attractions in the area today.